Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group | a W. R. Berkley Company
Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group is a regional insurance operation offering commercial property casualty coverages in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky and Pennsylvania. We foster an employee centric culture that encourages open communication and facilitates outstanding career opportunities.
We currently have an opening for a Sr. Underwriter in our Columbus, OH office. If you enjoy working in a dynamic environment that rewards excellence and encourages entrepreneurial thinking, we’d like to hear from you!
Evaluate (select and price) and maintain (control) risk acceptability and profitability within the company’s underwriting guidelines and procedures for Middle Market commercial risks. Manage and maintain good agency-company relationships. Meet and maintain the profitability and production standards established.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Minimum of five years commercial lines underwriting experience, including but not limited to CGL, Property, Packages, BOP, Auto, Crime, IM, Umbrella and/or WC. Good organizational skills, ability to handle multiple tasks and effectively prioritize. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with agents and other departments. Exemplify superior teamwork
· Gather appropriate information to profitably underwrite a variety of Middle Market commercial risks.
· Research, formulate and implement solutions for complex issues and accounts.
· Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks within assigned authority level.
· Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
· Take a lead role relative to Key Account review and recommendations.
· Take ownership of your underwriting territory through strong book management skills.
· Work to develop and maintain agency relationships with a focus on long-term profitability and growth.
· Work in collaboration with Loss Control partners to focus on controlling exposures and maintaining controls. Join Loss Control on visits with individual accounts.
· Maintain established quality and service standards.
· Establish strong working relationships with key producers.
· Mentor less experienced underwriters and serve as a resource for others within the department as needed.
· Successfully build, manage and execute a New Business Pipeline.
Four-year college degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Possess AU, ARMS, CIC, CPCU or other equivalent insurance designation