Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group | a W. R. Berkley Company
Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group is a regional insurance operation offering commercial property casualty coverages in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky and Pennsylvania. We foster an employee centric culture that encourages open communication and facilitates outstanding career opportunities.
We currently have an opening for a Line of Business Manager in our Richmond, VA office. If you enjoy working in a dynamic environment that rewards excellence and encourages entrepreneurial thinking, we’d like to hear from you!
Responsible for pursuing growth opportunities within assigned line(s) of business which contribute to profitability, competitive advantage and product management. Oversees process and product improvement initiatives. Assists in the design and implementation of profit and growth initiatives within a line(s) of business. Analyzes, recommends and executes changes to pricing, underwriting and marketing to achieve profitability and growth objectives.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Oversees and is accountable for the continuous improvement of underwriting quality to achieve profitable growth goals for the company.
- Delivers a collaborative underwriting referral process to profit centers.
- Develops a collaborative branch/home office working relationship through a significant level of profit center visits.
- Oversees quarterly quality review process and annual profit center underwriting audits.
- Supports rate and product filing needs and product development initiatives.
- Provides LOB and Industry expertise and training to underwriting staff.
- Oversees the technical systems training and staff development for proprietary and vendor software.
- Compiles pertinent product data and generates meaningful management reports in conjunction with findings and recommendations.
- Assists in the development of reinsurance programs consistent with our risk retention and performance objectives.
- Contributes to Berkley Mid-Atlantic’s success by developing departmental and individual staff goals; measuring results, rewarding achievements or taking corrective action, as necessary.
- Keeps abreast of industry developments, particularly those which impact his or her area(s) of responsibility.
- Understands Berkley Mid-Atlantic’s business and the factors that affect its success.
- Communicates regularly and effectively with Profit centers.
- Assist with the standardization of internal forms and work flow to maintain consistency between the profit centers.
- Work with Actuarial Services, Profit Centers, and Executive Management to establish underwriting, pricing and reinsurance guidelines
Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) and ten years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to employees, top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference and to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
CPCU preferred, ARMS designation or other appropriate Insurance Designation